POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : What do you think? : Re: What do you think? Server Time
5 Sep 2024 21:23:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: What do you think?
From: Warp
Date: 14 Aug 2009 03:39:14
Message: <4a8514a2@news.povray.org>
Neeum Zawan <m.n### [at] ieeeorg> wrote:
>         The issue at hand, though, is separation of church and state. Schools
> can get quite queasy if they're seen as *officially* allowing
> proselytizing to occur.

  It shouldn't be seen as "officially allowing proselytizing to occur",
but as "officially allowing free speech to occur".

  (And no, I'm not advocating evangelization in schools. I'm just expressing
my opinion that expressing one's beliefs to others does fall into freedom of
speech.)

> Passing out leaflets in between class may be OK. Asking the teacher for
> permission to pass out such leaflets *during class* very likely is not.

  That's a completely different issue, and in no way related to
evangelization in particular. Disturbing a lecture should be frowned
upon regardless of how what kind of leaflets are being passed out.
Religion has nothing to do with it, but public order and discipline.

--
                                                          - Warp