POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : No country for old men : Re: No country for old men Server Time
5 Sep 2024 09:19:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: No country for old men
From: Chambers
Date: 13 Aug 2009 23:46:03
Message: <4a84ddfb$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   I have no problems in understanding spoken American English. I understand
> it so well, in fact, that I never need subtitles when I watch DVD movies.
> (On the contrary, subtitles for English-speaking movies bother me a lot,
> as the disturb my concentration. For languages which I don't understand
> it's less of a bother because there's less to be disturbed from.)

On the other hand, I often need to turn subtitles on to understand
movies, and I'm from the USA!

(Usually it's due to a poor job mixing sound levels, as the dialog will
be quite low while the music / sound effects will be incredibly loud).

>   However, in the movie "No country for old men" they spoke with such a
> thick Texan accent that at many places I had really hard time understanding
> what they were saying. Do Texans really speak with such a thick accent?

No, they don't.  The accents in the movie were quite "toned down"
compared to reality, which is far, far worse ;)

...Chambers