POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : What do you think? : Re: What do you think? Server Time
9 Oct 2024 02:30:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: What do you think?
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 13 Aug 2009 21:11:14
Message: <4a84b9b2@news.povray.org>
On Thu, 13 Aug 2009 19:47:48 -0500, Neeum Zawan wrote:

> On 08/13/09 18:22, gregjohn wrote:
>> I'd support a "constitutional" right for older (high school) students
>> to have equal access to school grounds after-hours to organize
>> themselves into religious and political interest groups, no matter how
>> controversial, from "questioning" teens to Jews for Jesus.
>
> 	I can't see a reason for it. If it's after hours, and if you want
the
> government to get involved, why not just insist on an alternative public
> location? Why must it be in a school?
>
> 	I'll also note that I'm not sure the constitution forbids this
> 	presently.

It doesn't explicitly forbid it, however courts have read the laws and
the constitution to mean that a school that provides a meeting space for
people of a particular faith could be promoting that faith IF they don't
allow equal access for other religious groups.

Schools are good places to hold meetings, though - they're easily
accessible (generally) and tend to be community centers.  My own local
community organization meets in a school within our borders (a private
school, in fact) because it's an easy place to get people together.

Jim