POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : What do you think? : Re: What do you think? Server Time
5 Sep 2024 19:24:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: What do you think?
From: Daniel Bastos
Date: 13 Aug 2009 20:58:05
Message: <4a84b69d$1@news.povray.org>
In article <4a849ce7$1@news.povray.org>,
Neeum Zawan wrote:

> On 08/13/09 15:07, Mike Raiford wrote:
>> True, but I still don't think it's appropriate to attempt to convert
>> other students to your form of religion, be it atheist, christian,
>> jewish or muslim. There should be a respect for what others believe. The
>
> 	That's like saying there should be no attempt at "converting"
> from any opinion to any other opinion. Let's just kill all conversation.
>
> 	I think you're viewing it as some kind of "forceful" conversion, which
> it isn't. It's merely handing out fliers (if I read it right). No
> different from a kid handing out fliers saying that nuclear energy is
> wrong, or whatever.

Your last paragraph sounds good to me. We can talk without an
intention of persuading, or converting, or whatever is the word you
would prefer to use. I think we have been doing this right here. I
have. We're speaking our minds, presenting facts.

There is some sort of a reward when people agree with us, but this
reward is only good when we honestly present the ideas. And the reward
is shared; it is not solely gained by the one who could, in the end,
say ``I told you I was right.''

It's true that this reward sometimes is so eagerly desired that it
drives one into dishonesty, and that's bad. I hope people question
themselves too.