POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : n_to_national_healt =?ISO-8 : Re: Can anyone explain America’s opposition to national health care? Server Time
8 Oct 2024 20:49:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Can anyone explain America’s opposition to national health care?
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 13 Aug 2009 16:46:53
Message: <4a847bbd$1@news.povray.org>
On Thu, 13 Aug 2009 21:28:41 +0100, Stephen wrote:

> OK I know that not all Americans feel that way but it seems that the
> majority of vocal ones do.

I've been having a discussion about this with a friend of mine today
who's on "the other side" of the debate (against the Obama plan).  It
seems the bulk of his opposition is because most of the people voting for
it haven't read it.  He hasn't either.

It seems to me (being in favor of it, and no, I haven't read it either)
that there are those who think that it should reformed as it is - nearly
everybody agrees that what we have is broken, it's just a question of how
best to fix it.

Those in favour of continuing private insurance, in my view, overlook
that public health is, by definition, a public concern.  If we don't take
care of individuals who get sick because they don't have insurance, we
risk infecting everyone else.

Then there are those who think capitalism is the answer to *everything*.
"Let the market decide" - the problem (as I see it) with this is that
some things *shouldn't* be driven by the market (ie, money).  Health is
one of those.  Public Safety is another (and public health is a component
of public safety IMHO).  I don't think the prisons should be privatized
either, because the profit motive is too strong, and that profit motive
drives the wrong societal behaviour.

Jim