POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : What do you think? : Re: What do you think? Server Time
5 Sep 2024 09:26:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: What do you think?
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 13 Aug 2009 13:56:30
Message: <4a8453ce$1@news.povray.org>
On Thu, 13 Aug 2009 11:49:45 -0500, Mike Raiford wrote:

> Jim Henderson wrote:
>
>> That is to say that the freedom to speak does not necessarily include a
>> requirement that you be heard.
>
> So, you think it's wrong that the school told the kid he couldn't
> distribute religious propaganda during a class party?

Actually, I think the school was in the wrong here.  The students who he
was distributing to have every right to say "no thank you".

> What if it were atheist propaganda the student were to distribute, would
> it still be considered wrong for the school to prevent distribution of
> that?

I think if an atheist wants to distribute information on their beliefs,
they should also be allowed to do so.  You might've noticed that I don't
identify as Christian myself, and as long as all beliefs are treated
equally, then I don't see a problem.

But I think the parents of the kid who caused the whole thing probably
would have a problem with an atheist distributing information.  *That's*
where the problem usually starts.

Jim