POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : New Computer : Re: New Computer Server Time
5 Sep 2024 09:26:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: New Computer
From: Invisible
Date: 13 Aug 2009 10:33:56
Message: <4a842454$1@news.povray.org>
>> My Amiga 1200 renders the benchmark - the *old* benchmark, SKYVASE.POV -
>> in about 2.5 hours. :-P
>
> Has anyone ever run the benchmark on an abacus?

That would be a vacuous test; it is the speed of the operator, not the
speed of the abacus itself.

It might, however, be interesting to see how fast a human can do the
computations by hand. (And, let us not forget, how accurately!)

[Actually, this would not be "interesting" at all for the poor ****
doing the calculations!]

Interestingly, a human can theoretically perform X computations per
minute. So if you work out how many computations are required to ray
trace a single image, you can work out how many humans it would take, in
principle, to achieve realtime framerates.

[Obviously, this somewhat neglects the latency. If it takes a human 10
seconds to do a calculation, then no matter how many humans are working
in parallel, it will always take at least 10 seconds to do any set of
calculations.]

Lest I jest, I should point out that at one point I sat down and wrote
out an algorithm for ray tracing a simple scene, optimised for hand
computation. If you had a graph paper, a set of pencils, and a crapload
of free time, you could in fact ray trace by hand following this
algorithm. Jesus I was bored that day...

PS. "Lest I jest" looks French to me for some reason.