POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Tell me it isn't so! : Re: Tell me it isn't so! Server Time
5 Sep 2024 17:15:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Tell me it isn't so!
From: Neeum Zawan
Date: 12 Aug 2009 16:38:11
Message: <4a832833$1@news.povray.org>
On 08/12/09 11:23, Daniel Bastos wrote:
> I'm sorry. Reason for what? To increase Princeton's responsibility? I
> agree. Indeed, there are other factors that are even stronger, but
> less quantitative. Money is measurable, so I think it is okay to look
> there first.

	No - I meant that the mere fact that they get funds from the university
is not reason enough to get free access to the library. Would you also
then demand free access to their computer facilities? Chemistry labs?

	I invoked the bailout as an example of banks/companies getting
government money, but with no (or little) suggestion that you or I
should have free products.

> I agree. At least.
>
> But I think that one problem here is your ``if.'' It's not clear to me
> what is not support for the library.
>
> For example, if some money goes towards, say, research in mathematical
> topology, some may say that that has nothing to do with the library.
> But to me that is very short sighted because the guy who gets this
> money writes books that go into that library, and he needs that
> library to study, so he reads many books from that library, which were
> put there because they exist, and they exist because they were written
> by people like him, who also got money from the government.

	The link between government grants and the books that academics publish
is not that strong. Most academics who get grants never publish books,
to begin with. And many academics (particularly of the mathematics
variety - they get very few grants) publish even though they have no grants.

	But your analogy is closer to the mark I made elsewhere: That some
government agencies require that research papers published using their
grants *must* be freely available to the public.

	In at least the universities I've been at, the money distribution of
the research grants that professors get is somewhat cleanly defined:
Some percentage goes to the department, and some percentage goes to the
college - not sure about the university as a whole. May be different in
private universities.

--
If Wile E. Coyote had enough money to buy all those Acme goods, why
didn't he just buy dinner?