POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Iridescense Bug : Re: Iridescense Bug Server Time
7 Jul 2024 07:02:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Iridescense Bug
From: Alain
Date: 11 Aug 2009 13:16:11
Message: <4a81a75b$1@news.povray.org>

> Thomas de Groot <tDOTdegroot@interdotnlanotherdotnet> wrote:
>> "clipka" <ano### [at] anonymousorg> schreef in bericht
>>> To make a long story short: Iridescence is badly broken (and has always
>>> been, by the way). I suggest to give it a major overhaul - even at the
>>> cost of breaking compatibility with 3.6.
>
>> That last should not be a problem imo.
>
>   Especially since iridescence seems to be one of the features seldom used
> by anybody, for some reason.

Some reasons:
  - hard to set up
  - seldom gives correct results
  - very small parameter changes can result in extreeme and unexpected
changes
  - large parameter changes may not change the end result at all
  - it often goes from not to almost not visible effect to overwhelming

In one of my dablings, adding "turbulence 0.01" resulted in a totaly
white surface.

Alain