POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : Step_Frame command???? : Re: Step_Frame command???? Server Time
18 May 2024 03:16:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Step_Frame command????
From: Chris B
Date: 10 Aug 2009 11:29:57
Message: <4a803cf5@news.povray.org>
"Inquisitor" <dec### [at] sybasecom> wrote in message

> Reflective - funny you mention that.  Actually it is pretty reflective and
> the
> 1920x1200 stills show that to advantage.  However, there have been some
> racing
> yachts lately using a chrome Mylar film (mirror) on the hulls and I'm
> experimenting with that.

Hmmm. I'm not sure that adding stealth to the hull of a private yacht is
necessarily a very wise 'improvement'. I think flourescent Green with bright
Orange stripes might give you a higher survival rating on the open ocean
:-)

> Sun to moon light transition.  Yeah, a little hokey.  Did you catch the
> sun
> switch off at 3:19. kind of abrupt.

No I hadn't noticed till you pointed it out. The camera is very close into
the yacht at that point in time and there are lots of artificial lights
around, so my brain just accepted that a light shining on the roof suddenly
went out.

> Wood grain - I have a problem with the wood grain.  At 2:50 looking at the
> pier,
> it looks like the surface is crawling.

I think this is down to having very fine, but well defined lines (a big
color difference) viewed from a changing camera position. There is a name
for this, but I can't for the life of me think of it. If this is the reason
there are some things you can do with anti-aliasing and jitter to reduce
such effects, but these have quite detrimental render-time overheads.
Alternatively, at this resolution you can't really see the wood-grain effect
anyway, so you might consider using a far simpler pattern for the animated
renders.

> Wake and Spray - Fortunately, my boat design is soooo good that it doesn't
> even
> leave a wake.. NOT.  Have you seen any good topics on generating a wake or
> spray (splashing)?

Eriban posted a thread entitled 'Rock The Boat (Final)' on 10th July this
year on povray.binaries.images. The Wake is discussed in that thread and
there's a reference to the source in povray.binaries.scene-files. I didn't
try it myself, so I don't know how well it would animate and I don't know
how easy it might be to combine with your heightfield techniques.

Regards,
Chris B.