POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A puzzle : Re: A puzzle Server Time
5 Sep 2024 19:26:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A puzzle
From: Invisible
Date: 10 Aug 2009 05:58:00
Message: <4a7fef28@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:
>>> No.  Anyway sound goes through solid things as well as air so even if
>>> it couldn't go through the gap it would go through the wall itself.
>>
>> OK... but presumably the velocity of sound inside a brick wall is
>> different to free air, so there would be some kind of diffraction effect?
>
> Probably, along with all the echo paths and different attenuation
> amounts of different materials at different frequencies it probably
> explains why music sounds horrible from the next room :-)

It doesn't sound *that* bad. But there is a quite pronounced decrease in
bass as I walk through the doorway. You listen to the music and you
think the neighbors will be banking on the wall any minute now, and then
you step just outside the door and it suddenly seems radpically less
loud. I don't know if it's because you're out of line-of-sight with the
speakers or the width of the doorway or what...