POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : double_illuminate coefficient : Re: double_illuminate coefficient Server Time
6 Oct 2024 02:04:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: double_illuminate coefficient
From: clipka
Date: 9 Aug 2009 11:44:28
Message: <4a7eeedc$1@news.povray.org>
Mr schrieb:
> And Im sure there is a way by mixing several materials when I'm more familiar with
that.

Probably not. To my knowledge, even POV-Ray gurus tried and failed. The
best approach I've seen so far required adding extra geometry, to create
a "sandwich" of surfaces: A plain-white double-illuminated inner core,
between two colored, filtering outer surfaces; the outer surfaces'
filter value would then be used to tune down the double_illuminate
effect. As you can imagine, this is prohibitively complex for anything
but the most simple geometry. It is also bound to be problematic with
radiosity and photons.

It would probably be possible to achieve the same with layered textures
if the double_illuminate was a property of the texture - but alas! it is
an object property.

... thinking about it, I'm just having another idea right here that
might work: Place two identical copies of the object in a union, at
exactly the same spot - except that you add double_illuminate to one of
them but not the other. POV-Ray should then interpolate between the two
objects, so that you should get a 50% double-illuminate effect. For
other ratios, you'd have to add more copies of the object though.