POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : double_illuminate coefficient : Re: double_illuminate coefficient Server Time
6 Oct 2024 02:05:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: double_illuminate coefficient
From: clipka
Date: 9 Aug 2009 11:22:37
Message: <4a7ee9bd@news.povray.org>
Warp schrieb:
> Mr <nomail@nomail> wrote:
>> Is there a way to cheaply tune the amount by which the light brought by
>> double_illuminate can be added?

Not yet, but...

>   Knowing a bit how the povray engine has been implemented, it wouldn't be
> a trivial change. Every object would have to internally carry the factor
> and some flag which tells whether the normal has been inverted or not.

You're pretty much mistaken this time: It turned out to be a piece of
cake, actually. (Though I didn't extend the existing double_illuminate
mechanism, but rather added a parallel one. Extending double_illuminate
to accept float values would have been not so easy indeed, and would
also have broken scenes where it's used just as a kludge to get rid of
mesh artifacts.)

>> I'm thinking like an amount of translucency,
>> without changing anything to transparency nor having to use media.
>
>   I think clipka is working on a patch for 3.7 which does exactly that,
> and even better.

Done already, and it seems to work like a charm. Just waiting for
beta.34 to be released.