POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A simple question of GPL : Re: A simple question of GPL Server Time
5 Sep 2024 15:28:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A simple question of GPL
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 8 Aug 2009 13:52:29
Message: <4a7dbb5d$1@news.povray.org>
On Sat, 08 Aug 2009 11:05:13 +0100, Orchid XP v8 wrote:

> Eero Ahonen wrote:
>> Orchid XP v8 wrote:
>>> OK, so I have some software released under the GPL, and I don't feel
>>> like reading through 250 pages of dense legalese. So can anybody tell
>>> me... is it legal to use such software for commercial work?
>>>

>> Yes.
>
> Heh. That was easy... :-)

GPL is about distribution, not about usage of the software.  Its purpose
is to ensure that code released under the GPL that's modified isn't only
redistributed in binary form, but that the modifications to the GPL'ed
code are also made available under the GPL.

There's no prohibition on usage of the code nor is there a prohibition on
selling the software as a product or part of a product.  But the source
code *must* be made available.

Jim