POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A simple question of GPL : Re: A simple question of GPL Server Time
5 Sep 2024 09:21:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A simple question of GPL
From: clipka
Date: 8 Aug 2009 12:56:30
Message: <4a7dae3e$1@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 schrieb:
> OK, so I have some software released under the GPL, and I don't feel
> like reading through 250 pages of dense legalese. So can anybody tell
> me... is it legal to use such software for commercial work?

Use *for* commercial work, i.e. as a tool (e.g. compiler) - definitely so.

Use *in* commercial work, i.e. as part of it (e.g. a library) - depends
on your business model: If you can GPL your work and still make money
with it, then yes. Otherwise - definitely no.

Then again, in case of the "Lesser GPL" (LGPL) - definitely yes.