POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : Step_Frame command???? : Re: Step_Frame command???? Server Time
3 May 2024 18:05:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Step_Frame command????
From: Chris B
Date: 8 Aug 2009 04:45:56
Message: <4a7d3b44$1@news.povray.org>
"Inquisitor" <dec### [at] sybasecom> wrote in message
>I wanted to pass on the results...
>
> Here's the YouTube of a low resolutiong version using the technique above.
>
>    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TujngLy_QK4
>
> Its 480x270 by 15 f/s.
>
> I'm currently generating a high res version
>
> 1280x720x15 f/s... It should be out in... say... a month or two.

It's looking very good indeed and very good to see what you're up to :-).

Although you've not asked for feedback, I've made a few notes in case you're
still at a stage where you can implement improvements:

There are jumps in the ocean surface pattern about every 10 seconds. There's
one at about 2min that's quite apparent (play from 1m 58s).

The boat is nice, but I think that making the hull slightly reflective would
make a huge improvement (though it would lengthen render times). The sails
look too solid to my eyes. I'd suggest making them slightly transparent and
playing around with the diffuse settings, although this once again will
impact your render times.

When the boat starts to turn at 2m 28s, it seems like it needs half a second
to a second of transition.  Again at 3m 33s the stop is just too
instantanious and clean (even for someone who's a dab hand on the throttle).

IMO the camera stop at 2m 51 s is too abrupt and the transition to night at
about 2m 58 doesn't ring true. The shadows on the lights imply that the Sun
is still very high in the sky. You could maybe move the main light down to
make the shadows track more. Moving the clouds across the sky and the water
texture more rapidly during this transition would give a feeling that the
footage has been sped up. I'd suggest keeping the camera dead still at this
stage as this sort of shot is typically done with a fixed camera with a
delay timer.

Regards,
Chris B.