POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Christian Conspiracy Question : Re: Christian Conspiracy Question Server Time
5 Sep 2024 19:27:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Christian Conspiracy Question
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 8 Aug 2009 01:52:01
Message: <4a7d1281@news.povray.org>
Jim Henderson wrote:
>> Now, if everyone that was telling you that you are good at detecting
>> deceit where one of those who claimed to trust priests, farmers and
>> prostitutes, before scientists, what would your reaction be to their
>> certainty of how good you are?
>
> Admittedly not that good.  That's why I don't look to those kinds of
> people (or people actually in those professions) to help me adjust my
> personal self-perception bias.
>
> Jim

Well, my point here was that "everyone" has some general biases. Its not
hard to detect "some" kinds of deceit, especially if they manage to
press many of the wrong buttons. After all, its likely that the
individual you are talking about where used to dealing with precisely
the people that thought they where going to, i.e. lawyers. They knew
their mind set, they knew what to say that would sound plausible to
"those" people, etc. You on the other hand... they where not able to
predict, so couldn't, as effectively, mess with. So, yes, in that
situation "anyone" with your background might have had "better"
instincts than the people who they where "intending" to target.

This is actually so common that there are a few companies that have
started, based on the theory, "Everyone has blind spots." The idea being
that an engineer, for example, may be clearly aware of some math,
design, behavior, or curiosity of the things they work on, which a
biologist simply doesn't know. Yet, that thing "may" provide a lead
into, or explanation for, some biological issue, for which a purely
bio-based examination fails to come up with. Mind, this is kind of like
someone failing to realize that triangles are applicable to house
building, as well as bridge building, but its still a blind spot.
Laywers, also have blind spots. And, my guess is, who ever your working
with, do, and they just happen to not match yours. ;)

--
void main () {
     if version = "Vista" {