POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : specular color ? : Re: specular color ? Server Time
6 Oct 2024 02:15:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: specular color ?
From: clipka
Date: 7 Aug 2009 15:20:57
Message: <4a7c7e99@news.povray.org>
Reactor schrieb:
>>> This is something I wouldn't mind seeing, along with the ambient
>>> keyword accepting a full rgbft vector.
>> What good would *that* do?
>
> If you wanted a ghostly object that was only visible when out of direct light,
> or a distant moon-like object that has transparent unlit parts, or something
> similar.
>
> -Reactor

You mean something like this?

     pigment { color red 0 green 1 blue 0 transmit 0.999 }
     finish { diffuse 0 ambient 1000 }

If that doesn't do what you're thinking of, then a "full rgbtf vector"
ambient wouldn't help you either.

Also note that the construction you're thinking of would require special
parsing of the parameter following the "ambient" keyword (or break
compatibility): As of now, ambient *always* applies filter and transmit,
but it's taken from the pigment, while what you want would be an
independent filter and transmit parameter specifically for ambient. As
from the parser's point of view, "rgb <1,1,1>" is perfectly equal to
"rgbft <1,1,1,0,0>", this would conflict with the standard use case.