POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Blender hmmmm... : Re: Blender hmmmm... Server Time
5 Sep 2024 17:16:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Blender hmmmm...
From: somebody
Date: 6 Aug 2009 22:20:12
Message: <4a7b8f5c$1@news.povray.org>
news:4a7b44f3$1@news.povray.org...
> somebody wrote:

> > I partially buy that, but not the suggestion (often voiced by die hard
> > Blender fans) that Blender's interface is optimized for 3D workflow and,
> > say, that 3DSMax's is not.

> I didn't mean to imply I thought that.

I didn't mean to imply you did - that's why I said "some die hard Blender
fans".

> I have heard from professionals that
> while lots of cheaper programs can do 95% of what they need, none of them
> have the interface that makes the workflow easy.

Well, when the programmers actually get money for their work, they listen
(or are made to listen, by their bosses) to their users' wants and needs.

> Also, as programs get more complex and computers get more powerful, you
> sometimes have to break from the tried-and-true to support more stuff,
like
> in that Office Ribbon design video I posted recently.

I didn't get to watch it, but if I may make a blind statement, it's one
thing for a companies with large R&D and testing departments like MS and
Apple to invent and innovate UIs (although even they screw up badly from
time to time), it's another for a lone programmer to presume he can
singlehandedly build the ideal interface by going against all conventions
and standards. UI design is much more difficult than many programmers
believe and should seldom, if ever, be attempted from scratch.