POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : AWSOME ROLEX! Where did it start? : Re: AWSOME ROLEX! Where did it start? Server Time
5 Sep 2024 15:26:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: AWSOME ROLEX! Where did it start?
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 6 Aug 2009 18:56:49
Message: <4a7b5fb1$1@news.povray.org>
On Thu, 06 Aug 2009 16:42:48 -0400, Warp wrote:

>> On Thu, 06 Aug 2009 14:24:29 -0400, Warp wrote:
>
>> > It must be something like 15 or so years since I first saw a
>> > reference to the "AWSOME ROLEX!" (if I'm remembering the typo
>> > correctly) here. I'm not even sure what the origin of this meme is,
>> > and whether it's exclusive to the povray community, or to more
>> > generic rendering communities.
>> >
>> >   Does anyone remember the history of the expression?
>
>> Spammers trying to sell fake Rolex watches.
>
>   I'm almost certain that's not the history of the expression here.

Well, I remember seeing the subject line in spam mail before spam filters
got better....so perhaps the person who posted the original post with
that image/idea in it was spoofing the spam messages.

You asked where it started - I would not be surprised if it didn't start
with the spammers' subject lines being spoofed by someone saying "let's
make a watch that looks like a Rolex and use that subject for my posting
of the image".

Jim