POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.pov4.discussion.general : Scale Postfixes : Re: Scale Postfixes Server Time
3 May 2024 05:33:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Scale Postfixes
From: clipka
Date: 6 Aug 2009 13:14:15
Message: <4a7b0f67$1@news.povray.org>
Warp schrieb:
>> They're perfectly counter-intuitive for use in "rotate" though:
>
>>     // trying to express that I intend to rotate by 45 degrees,
>>     // with the effect of rotating by 45 radians instead
>>     rotate x * degrees(45)
>
>>     // trying to express that I intend to rotate by 0.3 radians,
>>     // with the effect of rotating by something particularly useless
>>     rotate y * radians(0.3)
>
> #declare deg = 1;
> #declare rad = radians(1);
>
> rotate x * 45*deg
> rotate y * 0.3*rad

#declare Foo = sin(45*deg);
#declare Bar = cos(0.3*rad);

FAIL.

Which is to say: POV-Ray's current system for representing angles is
inconsistent, and a genuine built-in mechanism for specifying values as
either degree or radians would be helpful to mend this.

Note that this isn't about "how powerful is the language", but "how easy
is it to learn and use". Otherwise, we could simply refer to the
Turing-completeness of the language and be done with it.