POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : SSTL mm_per_unit blend2pov : Re: SSTL mm_per_unit blend2pov Server Time
7 Jul 2024 07:19:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: SSTL mm_per_unit blend2pov
From: clipka
Date: 4 Aug 2009 22:49:50
Message: <4a78f34e$1@news.povray.org>
Mr schrieb:
>> That may be due to the coefficients you picked for the material ;)
>>

> Yes I got through so much trial and error because I didn't find examples nor any
> data on real world "sigmas" I must also confess, I din't understand what
> 1/mm as the way to express these coefficients meant. I hope I'm not bohering you
> guys by giving noob feedback on still undocumented beta.

The original Jensen et al. paper has actual values for some materials -
see Figure 5 (b) on page 5:

http://graphics.stanford.edu/papers/bssrdf/bssrdf.pdf

The sigma[a] coefficients basically specify how much absorption a light
ray of a given wavelength suffers, per mm travelled in the medium (hence
the 1/mm dimension; that's "odometer" distance btw, not simply |A-B|);
the sigma-prime[s] coefficients specify how many scattering events a
light ray of a given wavelength suffers on average (again per mm
travelled in the medium), multiplied by a correctional factor to account
for non-isotropic scattering.

These coefficients are admittedly hard to use and non-intuitive, as it
is difficult to predict the resulting apparent material color, so I
expect future versions to add another layer to automatically compute
fitting coefficients, based on a user-specified apparent material color
and some other RGB parameter to control the "waxiness" of the material
(probably the "mean free path", which should be intuitive enough for
this purpose).