POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Days of Thunder : Re: Days of Thunder Server Time
5 Sep 2024 17:12:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Days of Thunder
From: Darren New
Date: 4 Aug 2009 21:10:07
Message: <4a78dbef$1@news.povray.org>
Neeum Zawan wrote:
>     There's a difference between a software feature and an API...
> Ordinary users would like a File --> Export option.

It depends what you want to convert them into, but sure, many people might.
Then whoever is on the other end has to import them, and I imagine MS
doesn't want to provide the customer support lines for that.

Then the problem is, someone exports a bunch of messages, then re-imports
them. What's the right semantics? Copies of everything? What happens if you
import them into a machine with a different timezone? Should it adjust your
calendar entries? Or into a machine without the same address book? Should it
add the people in the messages into your address book? If you just provide
the standard MAPI hooks, then the importing application can do what it wants.

Granted, it's a little hard to defend not providing this, given there *are*
standard formats available. (At least, now there are. Given that MIME came
around several years after Outlook did, it's hard to say what the whole
format could be standardized.) But even now, if you want to export calendar
events, you're not going to be able to copy them between (say) Windows and
the Mac and GMail.

And, of course, it's a little easier for TB to support exporting messages
than Microsoft, given that TB isn't trying to make money. :-)

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
    back to version 1.0."