POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Days of Thunder : Re: Days of Thunder Server Time
5 Sep 2024 17:17:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Days of Thunder
From: Darren New
Date: 4 Aug 2009 18:44:51
Message: <4a78b9e3$1@news.povray.org>
Neeum Zawan wrote:
>     As for Gmail, I should have said "mail clients". Obviously, it
> doesn't matter too much what format online mail services use if they
> don't give you access to the actual files.

And outlook is primarily an online mail service.

>     Never used Lotus Notes. You're saying its format is nonstandard
> (and/or nonopen) even now?

It was last I looked, and for much the same reason that Outlook's is.

>     I've used some software on VAX. It was a simple text file - probably
> mbox format.

There are three standard formats. One message per file, or a file with
^A^A^A^A\n before and after each message, or with "From " at the start of
the line marking a new message.

>     Well, if they really need a feature that an open/standard format
> can't handle, I can see the point. However, what's the excuse for not
> providing a straightforward way to export to an open/standard format?

They did. It comes with Outlook. That's why you have to have outlook
installed to use it. Microsoft is going to have a hard time providing you
with a way to export proprietary formats to something more generic if you
don't install the software they give you to do it.

It's the same way you programatically export excel spreadsheets, word
documents, and email messages.  It's called COM.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
    back to version 1.0."