POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Speaking of conspiracy theories : Re: Speaking of conspiracy theories Server Time
5 Sep 2024 21:26:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Speaking of conspiracy theories
From: Chambers
Date: 3 Aug 2009 22:21:20
Message: <4a779b20$1@news.povray.org>
Neeum Zawan wrote:
> On 08/02/09 23:16, Chambers wrote:
>> You have to agree, though, that it isn't economically feasible to supply
>> every treatment available to every individual who might possibly need
>> it. The cost would be so prohibitive as to cripple any economy.
>
>     Yes. And the relevance of that is...?

That, at some point, you have to make a decision about who gets which
treatments, taking into consideration all the relevant factors (age,
other conditions, likelihood of success, and cost).  Excluding any one
of those factors - even cost - would be irresponsible.

Once you admit that there's a cutoff point somewhere, then it no longer
becomes a question of whether or not certain people will be denied
treatment, but only a question of where that cutoff point is.

Too often, the debate is framed as the "we'll provide treatment for
everyone, no matter what" crowd versus the "we'll provide treatment for
those who can pay for it themselves" crowd.  Like most real issues, the
practical solution is one which lies somewhere in the middle.

--
Chambers