POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Christian Conspiracy Question : Re: Christian Conspiracy Question Server Time
6 Sep 2024 09:16:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Christian Conspiracy Question
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 3 Aug 2009 15:03:56
Message: <4a77349c$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> Thomas de Groot wrote:
>> "Jim Henderson" <nos### [at] nospamcom> schreef in bericht
>>> There are good ways and bad ways to learn language.  That we have an
>>> instinct for it now without being taught how to learn a language implies
>>> an instinctive knowledge.
>>>

>> I doubt this very much. The case of the "wild childs" pleads against
>> this. The "Aveyron child", in the 19th century, was unable to learn
>> language once he was found in the wild. And other cases go in the same
>> direction. So, language is taught by example, and is not instinctive.
>> I am not sure, but I think this is also the common consensus among
>> scientists.
>
> I think people don't have an instinct for a particular language, but an
> instinct to learn whatever language they're around. Much like birds
> learn how to fly, pretty much reliably.
>
> Of course, if you're entire raised around non-verbal beings, the
> instinct to try to learn is going to get frustrated, just like you can
> starve without food even tho you have an instinct to get hungry and eat
> when you need to.

What usually happens is that they learn the body language and
vocalizations of the species they are dealing with. In some cases, its
easier to teach them basic signs, than teach them *spoken* language. The
reason being, simply, that often body language, in species with a narrow
range of ability to vocalize, use body posture and the like more to get
across basic ideas. But, you are still dealing with a case where the
person in question is being handed a more "limited" version of allowable
especially dealing with vocal control and interpretation.

Sometimes I think this happens in cases of extreme indoctrination too.
You find people who don't just misread/hear something you said, they
seem to be almost **incapable** of parsing the meaning, based on any
definition of an idea, other than their own, and most of them, a) can't
change their definitions, and b) turn out to have lived isolated from
alternate meanings, often to an unbelievable extent (no TV, no Internet,
no books not approved, no friends outside the indoctrination
environment, no contact with people who have differing views). It seems
to warp their perceptions so badly that its not like they can't
understand the word, but its like... how its sometimes described trying
to learn an Asian language, when all your concepts are Western. Some
things simply **don't** translate, and you end up trying to find a
definition you *do* have, which fits the new word, despite the fact that
no definition you possess fits the real meaning. And, in the case of
*some* people isolated, by faiths, from the rest of humanity, for a long
period of their early lives, unless they snuck stuff, or went to friends
houses and saw it, etc., its like having a Brit ask you where to find
the crisps, or if they can bum a fag. If you have no word for the
former, and your entire universe has never contained a version of the
later than involved tobacco... Only, the sort of problem I am talking
about is actually *worse*, like, "What does the word 'evidence' or
'theory' mean to these people?"

--
void main () {
     if version = "Vista" {