POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Christian Conspiracy Question : Re: Christian Conspiracy Question Server Time
9 Oct 2024 14:32:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Christian Conspiracy Question
From: Darren New
Date: 3 Aug 2009 12:34:34
Message: <4a77119a@news.povray.org>
Jim Henderson wrote:
> To this day, I know that I avoided a disaster that night.

No you don't. You just strongly believe it.  Had you opened the papers and
the next morning found that a building had collapsed across that on-ramp,
you still wouldn't have *known* it. You *still* would have only believed it.
You had the true, and the belief, without the justification. (Unless, of
course, you subconciously overheard a radio news station talking about
demolition or something, in which case it's no longer really "instinctive.")
And of course if you do it correctly and repeatedly, then it's worth looking
into, but so far nobody has measured proper psi powers.

I know exactly what you're talking about, now.

Sometimes I wake from a dream, *knowing* I solved some problem while I was
dreaming, but I just can't remember it now. Did I really solve the problem
while I was dreaming, or am I just <ahem> dreaming?  How is your experience
different?

> I suppose it's the sort of thing people who are more religious than me
> would attribute to "the protection of God" or something like that, but I
> don't.  I just instinctively knew that I needed to go home a different
> route.

Sure. And when you read books about odd kinds of brain damage, with people
who are neither blind nor sighted, with people who are absolutely convinced
they had "out of the body" experiences yet can't see what's going on when
you block something from their "body" eyes that their "soul" eyes could see,
people who are utterly convinced that all their friends have been replaced
with duplicates, etc, you realize no, you didn't know, you're just convinced
you knew.

The very fact that you're convinced is what makes you think it's knowledge
and not belief. Yet conviction is a state of mind. You're saying "because my
brain has decided it's knowledge, that makes it knowledge and not just a
hunch/guess/faith."

I really do believe there are faithful who have as much conviction about
something as you did about your route home. I believe that's what a lot of
the sudden unprompted "born again" stuff is about. I don't disparage that,
but I don't count that as "knowledge" either.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
    back to version 1.0."