POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Tell me it isn't so! : Re: Tell me it isn't so! Server Time
6 Sep 2024 07:18:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Tell me it isn't so!
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 3 Aug 2009 12:01:33
Message: <4a7709dd$1@news.povray.org>
On Mon, 03 Aug 2009 04:14:00 -0400, Bill Pragnell wrote:

>> Indeed, one of the reasons I posted the quote I did.  It's interesting
>> to me how many people who are fans of the Pythons are unaware of what
>> their influences were.
>
> It's probably a little wider-known over here, but not much. Very few of
> my friends have heard of the Goons, although ISIRTA and Round the Horne
> are better bets.

Yeah - now I haven't heard Round the Horne, will have to look for it. :-)

>> > "Neddy, do you know they're sending up a rocket to photograph the
>> > other side of you?"
>>
>> "What time is it, Eccles?"
>
> "I've... got it written on this piece of paper..."
>
> I'll probably run out of Goons quotes very rapidly, since I've only
> heard about half a dozen episodes... I'm not nearly old enough to be a
> first-generation Python quoter, let alone the Goons - even my parents
> aren't quite old enough for that!

There are a few pretty decent collections available online, reportedly in
the public domain now.  The recordings of Series 5 onward seem to be
pretty decent quality, but the few remaining episodes from series 4 are
not hard to listen to, just the volume level's a bit low.

And of course there are scripts online, mostly transcripts from people
listening to the shows.

Jim