POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Christian Conspiracy Question : Re: Christian Conspiracy Question Server Time
6 Sep 2024 13:16:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Christian Conspiracy Question
From: Darren New
Date: 3 Aug 2009 11:59:43
Message: <4a77096f@news.povray.org>
Jim Henderson wrote:
> Yes, but that's one of the points of my definition for faith, that it's
> based on a certainty that can feel like knowledge that comes from within
> rather than from external sources.

Certainly. But that doesn't make it knowledge, any more than being deluded
into thinking you're Napoleon makes it "knowledge" that you are.

> There's a distinction between the two (I know this perhaps contradicts
> what I wrote earlier in this post even), but "faith" is kinda wishy-
> washy, a bit lower on the scale of certainty than "knowledge".  There are
> some things that I have faith about, but I'm not bothered that the
> associated feeling that accompanies that isn't as strong as some things
> that I have a certainty about that I can't explain.

Still not "knowledge" in my book. "Random stuff I'm sure of without any
evidence" isn't knowledge.

> In and of itself, it's difficult to explain the difference - so this
> discussion is good because it's helping me think about the idea more.

That's why I ruminate here so often. :-)

> Will have to read that when I have more time.  It *sounds* interesting.

It's all very cool. SciFi helps too. :-)

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
    back to version 1.0."