POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Christian Conspiracy Question : Re: Christian Conspiracy Question Server Time
6 Sep 2024 13:19:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Christian Conspiracy Question
From: Tim Cook
Date: 3 Aug 2009 01:46:30
Message: <4a7679b6$1@news.povray.org>
Patrick Elliott wrote:
> False perception. Before a certain age, almost no one remembers what
> they did or didn't *perceive*, and we have very clear cognitive studies
> that specify exactly when people *do* gain those things, as well as the
> earliest age that you are *likely* to remember things clearly. And,
> again, such perception is wrong a lot of the time, which is why magic
> tricks, visual tricks, etc. work **at all**. We learn, by handling the
> world around us, and experiencing it, what to expect in 99.9% of all
> cases, so.. you do something that fits in the other 0.1%, and our brains
> freak and start making things up, because it *can't* tell what is really
> going on. This is basic child development stuff, sheesh..

Reality throws curve balls sometimes, and graphs of real data are messy.
  Saying 'almost no one' contradicts 'exactly when'.  Also, unless a
study covers 100% of the population, you have to account for outliers.

Further, our brains make stuff up quite a bit.  Interpolation to fill in
gaps in the senses, then the brain shmoozes it all together so we just
see contiguous patterns.

--
Tim Cook
http://empyrean.freesitespace.net