POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Christian Conspiracy Question : Re: Christian Conspiracy Question Server Time
6 Sep 2024 15:19:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Christian Conspiracy Question
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 3 Aug 2009 00:54:26
Message: <4a766d82$1@news.povray.org>
Jim Henderson wrote:
> On Sun, 02 Aug 2009 16:07:05 -0500, David H. Burns wrote:
>
>> andrel wrote:
>> A believer "knows", he/she will often deny believing as that
>>> suggests that there is another option. I know that no god exists, but
>>> at the same time acknowledge that others know that God does exist. An
>>> outsider who does not share the same believe/knowledge may classify it
>>> as (merely) a believe, for the believer it is knowledge. So whether it
>>> are synonyms or not depends on the observer.
>> Well, of course one is free to use any word to mean anything one likes,
>> and if it comforts one in one's faith to use "know" to mean "believe",
>> one is free to do so. But if one wants what he says or writes
>>   to be understood .... :)
>
> Actually, though, "knowledge" comes in two ways, I think - first, through
> the act of learning, and secondly through an instinctive certainty.  I've
> always considered "belief" to be something that is "knowledge gained
> instinctively, with such a certainty that it forms a basis for what you
> do in your life".  I've not completed my own pontifications on this
> definition, but I do consider many people I know who are religious to
> have this kind of certainty about their beliefs - a certainty that makes
> it "knowledge" from their point of view.
>
> Jim
Instinctive certainties, however, are wrong more than half the time.
People that act on such certainties tend to die, doing stupid things,
which they where *certain* would work. The point of knowledge is, in
part, to make you stop and go, "Huh, could I possibly be wrong about
this?" lol

--
void main () {
     if version = "Vista" {