POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Christian Conspiracy Question : Re: Christian Conspiracy Question Server Time
6 Sep 2024 19:22:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Christian Conspiracy Question
From: David H  Burns
Date: 2 Aug 2009 16:53:42
Message: <4a75fcd6$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> David H. Burns wrote:
>> Darren New wrote:
>>>
>>> Yes. Lots of places, especially in the south (known as the "bible
>>> belt") there will be tremendous discrimination against atheists, to
>>> the point of being harassed out of town. (I don't know about "many
>>> parts," mind. Just the very religious parts.)
>>
>> Yes the "south" is swamp of hatred, ignorance, stupidity, peopled by
>> benighted morons
>> who are capable of the most heinous crimes for religion or any other
>> reason.
>
> Why are you taking offense?

It's prejudice I take offense at -- though maybe "disgusted" may be a better
term than "offended" to describe my reaction. But I probably should have
resisted
  the temptation to reply -- or just repeated the Kristofferson quote I
used earlier. :)
Are you claiming there isn't an area
> generally referred to as "the bible belt"? Or that it isn't in the
> south?
"Bible Belt" is a media term, pejorative and emotive, with no
descriptive value.
Or that there aren't many places that discriminate against
> atheists? Or that there are proportionally more in the south than the
> north?

My experience leads me to doubt both of these statements. I've never
seen such
discrimination. Off course I have heard and read people preach and rave
against atheists
  and against christians, and against many other beliefs. But preaching
and raving aren't
especially southern phenomena.
  I may be mistaken about that latter one, but I'm just basing it
> on the news I read.

What one reads in the "news" depends on what news one chooses to read.
To my mind, none of it is to be trusted too far.

David :)