POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A puzzle : Re: A puzzle Server Time
5 Sep 2024 11:20:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A puzzle
From: Darren New
Date: 1 Aug 2009 14:33:16
Message: <4a748a6c$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
> somebody <x### [at] ycom> wrote:
>> You are thinking electromagnetic waves, which are transverse.
>
>   A photon will travel rectilinearly, not in a sine wave pattern.

But the math that describes the photon's interaction with nearby photons and
electrons is based on multiplication (and addition) of complex vectors,
which means it behaves as if there are conic-section waves involved,
sometimes. Bascially, any given photon goes straight (until it interacts
with something, at least), but a collection of photons will statistically
have some properties in common with waves because of complex
probabilities[1] involved in the interactions, which is why you get
diffraction and such.

[1] As in, probabilities in which the probability of an event happening is a
complex number (more specifically, a complex vector whose length is <= 1),
and the probability of two events happening is the product of the complex
numbers, etc.  I found it interesting that someone proved that only
1-dimensional and 2-dimensional probabilities are consistent, and you can't
build the same sort of system with (say) 3D vectors.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
    back to version 1.0."