POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Speaking of conspiracy theories : Re: Speaking of conspiracy theories Server Time
5 Sep 2024 21:26:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Speaking of conspiracy theories
From: Warp
Date: 1 Aug 2009 06:25:27
Message: <4a741817@news.povray.org>
Patrick Elliott <sel### [at] npgcablecom> wrote:
> Warp wrote:
> > Patrick Elliott <sel### [at] npgcablecom> wrote:
> >> If anything, McCain could be considered a better case, since we "do"
> >> know he wasn't "physically" even on the same continent, at the time.
> >
> >   I hate to be a grammar nazi, but those quotation marks take most of the
> > seriousness of your writing away. I really think you should avoid misusing
> > them.
> >
> Then don't be. I typed the bloody thing five minutes before leaving for
> work, so didn't notice the problem.

  I am going to sound like a jerk again, but I have always wondered if
some people just type their message as fast and carelessly as they can,
and only *then* they go through it and correct all the spelling and
grammatical mistakes. That feels a bit counter-productive to me. Why not
write it properly right away? That would save time and effort.

> >   In these types of sentences putting a single word in quotes usually means
> > that you are using euphemisms or irony, that you are not literally meaning
> > what the word is saying.
> >
> Been, there, been told that, trying to stop doing it, but also tired of
> people whining about misused quotes, instead of the content of the post.

  But since I'm not whining about the content of your post that means that
I have nothing to object to it. Isn't that a good thing?-)

  Besides, this is exactly the second time I object about someone here
misusing quotes in the history of the server. Hardly seems constant whining.

--
                                                          - Warp