POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Windows Graphic Programming : Re: Windows Graphic Programming Server Time
5 Sep 2024 17:16:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Windows Graphic Programming
From: David H  Burns
Date: 31 Jul 2009 21:26:25
Message: <4a7399c1$1@news.povray.org>
Neeum Zawan wrote:
> On 07/31/09 15:27, Darren New wrote:
>> Only if you want to take advantage of it. Find an old copy of MS-DOS,
>> boot it, and suddenly programming will be easy again.
>
>     Are you kidding?
>
>     I'd love to see what happens if I boot MS-DOS on my P4 2.53 GHz. How
> will it handle my video card? RAM? I suppose that 640K thing is there,
> but what if I want to use stuff like smartdrv and access higher memory?
>
>     Heck, the "complicated" programming of today may be easier than
> booting to DOS.
>
>     (And yes, DOSBox is cheating).

I suspect that he's kidding, but I've often though about it. Hmm... I
may have an old copy
of DOS, if I can find it, and a computer that I wouldn't be afraid to
try it on. I suspect it won't
boot but it may be worth a try. Finding the disk will be a long term
project, I'll report results, if any,
eventually. But one couldn't use the high resolution graphics -- or
could one??

Of course one can do a certain amount of "system" programming even on XP
and
and it is much easier--and faster. Maybe I should take another look at
that assembly programming
site I ran across a while back.;)

David :)