POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Speaking of conspiracy theories : Re: Speaking of conspiracy theories Server Time
5 Sep 2024 19:25:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Speaking of conspiracy theories
From: Warp
Date: 31 Jul 2009 17:47:44
Message: <4a736680@news.povray.org>
Patrick Elliott <sel### [at] npgcablecom> wrote:
> If anything, McCain could be considered a better case, since we "do"
> know he wasn't "physically" even on the same continent, at the time.

  I hate to be a grammar nazi, but those quotation marks take most of the
seriousness of your writing away. I really think you should avoid misusing
them.

  In these types of sentences putting a single word in quotes usually means
that you are using euphemisms or irony, that you are not literally meaning
what the word is saying.

  When you say, eg. 'he wasn't "physically" even on the same continent'
it sounds like you don't mean "physically" in the literal sense, but
figuratively. Like it was some kind of figurative speech for something
else. I don't think that's what you mean.

  (That's the only possible meaning because you are clearly not quoting
anybody nor using some kind of slang or obscure word (requiring explanation
for those who don't know it) or alias.)

--
                                                          - Warp