POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Straight Dope : Re: Straight Dope Server Time
5 Sep 2024 17:16:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Straight Dope
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 30 Jul 2009 23:37:11
Message: <4a7266e7$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> Patrick Elliott wrote:
>> Darren New wrote:
>>>
>>> Nope. That's the key feature of monotheism.
>>>
>> Ok, minor point, but not always true. Hindu isn't mono-theistic, yet
>> it still manages to generate nuts that think the solution to catching
>> up with the US is "Vedic Science" and "Alchemy", and that the western
>> versions of science are all "wrong", because they don't embrace total BS.
>
> I think "wrong" in that very first sentence was referring to morality,
> not truth. The two are orthogonal.

Perhaps, but its not much of a distinction when the extremists will
punish you for "being" wrong. Even Jewish people, who "generally" tend
to be about as sane as Catholics in some respects (a lot of
pronouncements that don't make much sense to the rest of us, but not
raving wackos prone to try to force everyone to act like them), never
the less have produced some cases, like one recently, where a bunch of
the Orthodox variety where marching in the streets to protest "other
people" not following their rules about the Sabbath. They literally
wanted everyone else in the country they where in to observe it with
them, and not 'work' on it. Some poor women reporter got on the wrong
street, ended up in the middle of them and got backed against a wall,
harassed and spit on over it. Luckily that was the extent of the
violence done to her. But... I am unclear how "marching in protest", or,
"spitting one people", with the express intent of **causing something to
happen** wasn't "work", and therefor breaking their precious insane ritual.

Doesn't matter how seemingly rational someone with religion is, there is
probably something they will get unhinged over. This wouldn't be too bad
if it was like someone getting unhinged over their favorite Football
team, and the result landed them in jail. It **is** a problem when they
don't land in jail, but you do, for offending them somehow, and what
they *do* get is patted on the back for "defending their faith from
infidels". They should end up in jail right along with the insane
Football fan, and their fellows should be embarrassed at it, not
praising. Its a mark of the level of insane involve that the reaction is
the precise opposite when it comes to "faith".

--
void main () {
     if version = "Vista" {