POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Straight Dope : Re: Straight Dope Server Time
5 Sep 2024 19:24:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Straight Dope
From: Darren New
Date: 30 Jul 2009 01:51:47
Message: <4a7134f3@news.povray.org>
clipka wrote:
>> And that's the difference between science and religion. Science says "this
>> is what is."  Religion says "this is what you should do."  That *is* the
>> difference, and that *is* why science isn't religion.
>
> "Thou shalt not be irrational."

Science doesn't tell you not to be irrational. Science is a technique for
getting to the answers of how the world works. It's not proscriptive, but
descriptive.

Science doesn't say "don't be irrational."  Science says "if you're
irrational, you'll have less luck figuring out how the world works, and you
won't be doing science."

I haven't seen any scientist tell you not to fall in love at first sight
*because* it would be unscientific to do so.

> There: A religion, still. And a sort of monotheistic one, too.

Nice try, but no cigar.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
    back to version 1.0."