POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Something from Nothing? : Re: Something from Nothing? Server Time
5 Sep 2024 17:18:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Something from Nothing?
From: Chris B
Date: 29 Jul 2009 18:24:29
Message: <4a70cc1d@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
> Chris B <nom### [at] nomailcom> wrote:
>> I appologize in advance, but I just can't resist the overwhelming
>> temptation to post a quick link to my favourite Bible reading where
>> Ricky Gervais reads from Genesis:
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_EXqdJ4L7I&feature=related
>
>   I honestly didn't understand what was supposed to be so funny. I suppose
> I just didn't get the jokes.

Well it's not really joke-based humour. It's largely based on an ironic
counterpoint to the sort of upbringing that was common here at one time;
with the gospel being taught as if it were the gospel truth (beyond
question) and with people being left in relative isolation to work out
that there might be something about it that doesn't quite ring true. I
suppose the humour does therefore derive from quite a particular set of
experiences.

(Not that it ever really works to analyze or to try to explain humour)