POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Straight Dope : Re: Straight Dope Server Time
5 Sep 2024 19:26:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Straight Dope
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 29 Jul 2009 17:51:55
Message: <4a70c47b$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
>> Actually, scientific explanaitions seem to be particularly *bad* at
>> giving
>> guidance for action, because they're perfectly detached from any moral
>> aspects.
>
> This is incorrect.
>
> In any case, religion isn't any better at providing moral guidance.

I would argue that, in most respects, it is worse. Why? Because the key
feature of science is, "You could be wrong.", while the key feature of
religion is, "There is one right and true way, so failing to follow it
is automatically wrong." Its why science, in 200 years, gave us space
shuttles, while religions in 2,000 gave us... well, not much of
anything, since most of the stuff one can attribute to purely
"religious" thinking, like prayer, homeopathy, natural cures, etc. are
just variations on the same tried and failed ideas. All you get is
"repackaging", never anything *new*. There is no qualitative difference
between, "laying on of hands" and "therapeutic touch". The only
difference between "old" religious concepts and new ones is the trend to
gobble on science words, in an attempt to legitimize what didn't work
2,000 years ago, any more than it works now. The actual methods, ideas,
prescriptions, and even excuses haven't changed, even if *what* they are
applied to has shifted slightly.

In reality, religions are defined by the current morals, or they fail,
or fight to violently to try to survive anyway, while the world changes
around them. But, in the later two cases, their "moral claims" are
meaningless, since the whole reason they failed, or are failing, is
because no one follows them any more. The rest, change *religion* to fit
*morality*, not the other way around. But, inevitably, the failure to
recognize this leads what ever new variation arises to find itself in
the "fight or die" camp, eventually, when the rest of the world either
becomes more stable, or more irrational, than what ever "absolute moral
code" the religion claims to be following as a description of how to
properly live.

--
void main () {
     if version = "Vista" {