POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Straight Dope : Re: Straight Dope Server Time
5 Sep 2024 19:27:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Straight Dope
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 29 Jul 2009 17:42:32
Message: <4a70c248@news.povray.org>
clipka wrote:
> Actually, scientific explanaitions seem to be particularly *bad* at giving
> guidance for action, because they're perfectly detached from any moral aspects.
> At best it can lead me to try to achieve what *I* think is best, even if those
> thoughts happen to be total rubbish.

Hmm. I seem to remember someone commenting some where something like..
"descriptive, not proscriptive". So, sure. Its really really bad at
giving guidance for, what I presume, you mean to be "social" actions
(Mind, this isn't always the case. For example, the *proper* social
action among some groups is to teach abstinence, yet, the **effective**
social action is to hit the idiot advocating this over the head and bury
the body. lol) In any case, the problem here isn't that science can't
say anything about such actions, but rather that it can't, without a
clear understanding of the social contexts, and the thought processes of
those involved, which if you had them, would let you make predictions,
both of *if* a given solution would be accepted at all, or if it would
work at all. And, sometimes, it can say that even without those details,
because, quite frankly, much of societies delusions are based on how we
would like to be, not on how we "are", so its fairly predictable as to
the outcome when "are" comes into direct conflict with "want", and one
of the two has to give in.

--
void main () {

     if version = "Vista" {