POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Samsung Q2 MP3 player vs. MP4's. : Re: Samsung Q2 MP3 player vs. MP4's. Server Time
5 Sep 2024 17:15:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Samsung Q2 MP3 player vs. MP4's.
From: Darren New
Date: 29 Jul 2009 11:09:50
Message: <4a70663e$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> I would suggest that the MP3 player is expecting the ID3 tag to be in
> one specific place, when the standard actually permits it to be placed
> anywhere.

There's no actual standard for ID3 tags. ID3v1 had to be at the end, as it
was just a 128-byte fixed-format standard. The later versions were designed
to be carefully encoded such that no "start of frame" marker (which is
something like 0xFF 0xFF) appears in them - the integers, for example, use
only the lower 7 bits of each byte. The idea is that an MP3 player will
think it's picking up in the middle of a stream and skip over the ID3 tag
thinking it's the tail end of the previous compressed block of data, then
start playing.

Sounds like your player is either finding incorrectly-encoded ID3 tags or is
not looking for the start-of-stream marker before trying to decode things.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
    back to version 1.0."