POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Samsung Q2 MP3 player vs. MP4's. : Re: Samsung Q2 MP3 player vs. MP4's. Server Time
5 Sep 2024 17:11:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Samsung Q2 MP3 player vs. MP4's.
From: Mike Raiford
Date: 29 Jul 2009 11:00:18
Message: <4a706402@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:

> Faulty software is unecessary. It's quite possible to write software
> that works well, and it needn't even be particularly expensive.
> (Depending on what it's supposed to do, obviously.) But people can't be
> bothered, it seems...

Bad software is everywhere, though. Unfortunately, bad software being
burned to a ROM means that device will likely have bad software forever.
  Honda is likely using firmware from an outside company. I'd hate to
find that the same quality software resides in, say, the ECU or the
cruise control system, or worse: the airbag controller....

But, alas, this is a mere consumer device. They want it done quick, and
they want it done cheap. The way characters are rendered to the display
look suspiciously like the characters on my old pioneer MP3 radio. Which
is somewhat annoying.

( and C are rendered as:
  _

|_

I much rather would have preferred ( be rendered as

/
\

But, hey ... what do I know?

And autoscroll would have been nice.

> argue it's HARMFUL TO HEALTH beyond being merely defective... And yet, a
> bunch of bored hackers on the Internet who don't even have access to the
> design spec for the player managed to do a better job than paid
> programmers. I ask you...

They didn't have tight deadlines to hurry up and finish the project?
They're more talented/driven than the manufacturer could pay for?

> Indeed. There's no reason for it, other than they didn't plan what they
> were doing properly. If they'd done the job right, it would work.

Likely. Though clipka's theory sounds plausible. Unicode is a tricky
thing to do correctly anyway. It's not just finding the appropriate
glyph for a given codepoint, but also how that codepoint is supposed to
affect the output stream, string normalization forms, RTL and other
really fun gotcha's.

--
~Mike