POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Samsung Q2 MP3 player vs. MP4's. : Re: Samsung Q2 MP3 player vs. MP4's. Server Time
5 Sep 2024 11:24:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Samsung Q2 MP3 player vs. MP4's.
From: Invisible
Date: 29 Jul 2009 10:09:03
Message: <4a7057ff$1@news.povray.org>
>> Unfortunately people seem to think that it's "OK" to make products
>> that don't work correctly. It's extremely annoying, really...
>
> Well, when you consider in consumer electronics you're trying to cram
> functionality seen on a general computer into a device that's small,
> designed so the average person can use it w/o detailed knowledge of
> computers, and cheap enough that the average consumer will buy it, you
> have to make all sorts of compromises.

Faulty software is unecessary. It's quite possible to write software
that works well, and it needn't even be particularly expensive.
(Depending on what it's supposed to do, obviously.) But people can't be
bothered, it seems...

You know why my player uses RockBox? Because the manufacturer's own
firmware crashes constantly. That wouldn't be so bad, but when it
crashes it sandblasts your ears with very loud sound. One could almost
argue it's HARMFUL TO HEALTH beyond being merely defective... And yet, a
bunch of bored hackers on the Internet who don't even have access to the
design spec for the player managed to do a better job than paid
programmers. I ask you...

> The unicode thing to me is strange, though. Why is it capable of only
> displaying part of the string?

Indeed. There's no reason for it, other than they didn't plan what they
were doing properly. If they'd done the job right, it would work.