POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Samsung Q2 MP3 player vs. MP4's. : Re: Samsung Q2 MP3 player vs. MP4's. Server Time
5 Sep 2024 11:26:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Samsung Q2 MP3 player vs. MP4's.
From: Invisible
Date: 29 Jul 2009 09:18:11
Message: <4a704c13@news.povray.org>
Mike Raiford wrote:

> Heh. My Civic has a built-in MP3 player. I've been buying and
> downloading music lately, and every once in a while I'd get an album
> where every song would start with a burst of LOUD static. Very annoying
> when driving down the road. The files played just fine in Winamp and
> Windows Media player. Eventually figured out that I had to untag and
> retag every single file that would give static. No idea why this worked,
> unless the site selling the music put the tag at the font of the file
> instead of the end of the file (If that's even possible)

I would suggest that the MP3 player is expecting the ID3 tag to be in
one specific place, when the standard actually permits it to be placed
anywhere.

> The other bit of weirdness is if the file is tagged in unicode, you can
> only see the first screenful of text, it never gives you the option to
> scroll to see the rest of the text, but works fine with ASCII.
>
> Consumer electronics are sometimes weird ;)

Weird, no. Substandard, sure.

Unfortunately people seem to think that it's "OK" to make products that
don't work correctly. It's extremely annoying, really...