POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Something from Nothing? : Re: Something from Nothing? Server Time
5 Sep 2024 17:18:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Something from Nothing?
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 28 Jul 2009 20:59:28
Message: <4a6f9ef0@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> clipka wrote:
>> Darren New <dne### [at] sanrrcom> wrote:
>>> Altho, thinking on it more, I'm pretty sure you're going the wrong
>>> way. If
>>> time slows down near the black hole, and *you* are near the black hole,
>>> everything else will seem to speed up. :-)
>>
>> Yeah, but for "everything else"
>
> Yep. But if you're talking about the Big Bang, there *is* no "everything
> else". ;-)

Only from our perspective. It doesn't preclude other universes, one big
one that fragmented, or even a mass of energy that reached *its* version
of singularity, but lacking the far more limited constraints of our
dimensionality, produced pocket universes, instead of black holes. Its
one of the major problems that string theory has. How do you prove the
math, when the math allows for trillions of possible configurations, but
you are only interested in testing it against your *specific* one.
Basically... You can't expect math that deals with "general" probability
of any random game of chance, to *correctly* predict only the behavior
of games using 3 dice. Why not? Because the equations are talking about
everything from roulette wheels to games with 10,000 dice. All you can
say with certainty is a) when you found the parameters that match *your
game* well enough that you can use it to make solid predictions, and b)
what the limits and constraints on those statistics are, such that some
configuration cannot exist "outside" those bounds. For example, you
might find that, in a chance game, for some odd reason, the math doesn't
allow for 10,000 dice **and** a Roulette Wheel *at the same time*, or
something to that effect.

This doesn't help you at all though to know the *correct* parameters for
your game, automatically, nor to know what the result of every game that
has 1 dice and wheel, or 3 wheels and 5,000 dice, or 1 wheel and 9,999
dice. In other words, confusing as hell, unless you already know enough
to figure out what variables *must* be plugged in to get the result, at
which point, only then, can you start figuring out, "Why?".

--
void main () {
     if version = "Vista" {