POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Straight Dope : Re: Straight Dope Server Time
5 Sep 2024 11:23:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Straight Dope
From: David H  Burns
Date: 28 Jul 2009 15:58:51
Message: <4a6f587b$1@news.povray.org>
clipka wrote:

> In christianity for instance, everything bad is a conspiracy by Satan and his
> demons.

While far to many christians do hold this view, it is not fundamental to
christianity as
I see it; and is dead wrong). It's always comforting to have someone,
other than ourselves,
to blame for our own follies and mistakes. But you might wish to argue
that the belief and
behavior of christians is what christianity is.

> In science, everything inexplicable is just a flaw in the accepted theories.
> People refusing to accept those theories are obviously blinded by superstition.
> If some experiment confirms their predictions, it's proof that the theories are
> correct; if some experiment contradicts them, the system of theories just needs
> some more refinement and consolidation.
>
> Duh...
  Duh? This seems to be a pretty good description of the "scientific
method", which
I guess we could say is bothe the power and the weakness of science. :)

David