POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Questionable optimizations : Re: Questionable optimizations Server Time
5 Sep 2024 19:26:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Questionable optimizations
From: Warp
Date: 28 Jul 2009 08:18:44
Message: <4a6eeca4@news.povray.org>
> Here's a whole description of the whole chain of events that led up to it
> breaking.  I don't know if it got posted before, but it's pretty interesting.

> http://lwn.net/SubscriberLink/342330/f66e8ace8a572bcb/

"But Herbert's patch added a line which dereferences the pointer prior
to the check. That, of course, is a bug."

  That's what I thought. You can't blame a compiler optimization for
"screwing up" buggy code, even though without the optimization the bug
would perhaps not have been symptomatic by pure chance.

--
                                                          - Warp