POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Tell me it isn't so! : Re: Tell me it isn't so! Server Time
10 Oct 2024 01:14:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Tell me it isn't so!
From: Warp
Date: 28 Jul 2009 06:59:09
Message: <4a6ed9fd@news.povray.org>
clipka <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> Instead, true glitches are most frequently observed by
> high-end gamers trying to push the system even closer to its limits than AMD or
> Intel decided to, by operating them beyond the official operational parameters
> (bus clock, clock multiplier, memory access timings, voltages and the like).

  Many games do indeed stress the CPU and the GPU to their limits, even
without any overclocking. For regular non-overclocked systems it then
becomes a question of ventilation: If the CPU or the GPU gets too hot,
it might start glitching, in which case the game usually hangs, gives a
"this application performed an illegal operation" message or outright
reboots the computer.

  Of course in practice this is probably less common than one would think,
and by far the most common reason for games crashing is simply that the game
(or in some cases a driver, eg. the display driver) is buggy. Some games are
really stable and basically never crash, while other games seem to be
constantly crashing. This would seem to be indicative of a software bug
rather than a hardware problem (although it wouldn't be completely implausible
that the crashing game is stressing some part of the hardware that the
non-crashing one isn't).

--
                                                          - Warp