POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Tell me it isn't so! : Re: Tell me it isn't so! Server Time
10 Oct 2024 09:14:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Tell me it isn't so!
From: David H  Burns
Date: 27 Jul 2009 19:23:38
Message: <4a6e36fa$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
> Neeum Zawan <m.n### [at] ieeeorg> wrote:
>>         I think that's what kept me and many away from "serious" languages like
>> C/C++ for a long time. No book I picked up covered what I thought should
>> be straightforward: How do I color a pixel on the screen. Doing graphics
>> seemed to be a lot more complicated.
>
>>         I didn't have Internet access, nor did I know anyone who knew much
>> programming, so no one pointed me to better ways to do graphics in C,
>> nor was I aware of other languages where it may be easier.
>
>   It's funny that even today graphics in C/C++ development (and in fact quite
> many other languages) is a difficult issue.
>
>   What makes it ironic is that a large part of C/C++ programs out there are
> heavily graphical (most prominently the computer games), and seems like
> everybody just somehow manages to get the graphics done, but when you ask
> for a simple way of getting graphics, they will usually shrug and say that
> it's a bit complicated... (Because it *is* a bit complicated.)

If it is (and I can't believe that it's all that complicated), why is it??

>   Immediately when you started having different users with different
> hardware setups, the whole graphics programming stumbled on a huge problem.

Maybe, but why are the graphics for Windows itself so complicated? It's a
single operating system running mainly on similar hardware. And again
Pov-Ray does
it for images at lease. How does it do it? So it's complicated, even
*hard*, surely
someone knows how it is done and can tell me, or tell me where to find
out. *That*
was my original question on the programming news group which led to my
original
post in this thread. Of course, the thread has been fun --and
informative. :)

I've run on past suppertime! ;)

David

David